Throughout history, people have always looked for ways to extend lifespan. From the time of Ancient Egypt and until today, alchemists and healers of all kinds have used plants and herbs to cure and prevent health issues in order to extend lifespan. Research today shows that dietary supplements play a vital role in enhancing life extension and protection from oxygen free radical damage and inflammation.
What are dietary supplements?
Dietary supplements are vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and enzymes taken to improve health and sometimes medical conditions. For thousands of years, people have used the active ingredients found in supplements to improve health conditions and the quality of life. Some of these ingredients are used in our medicines today, such as:
- Poppy straw of the opium poppy – to make Morphine and oxycodone.
- Chinese sweet wormwood – is used to make Artemisinin – prescribed to treat malaria.
- Willow bark – used in Aspirin to reduce fever.
How do dietary supplements enhance life extension?
Today dietary supplements of vitamins, minerals and herbs are known to be among the most valuable and safest substances for treatment and prevention of everyday health problems that can cause disability and disease. These supplements prevent deficiency in their low doses, and in higher doses can be used for life quality extension as well as for therapeutic purposes.
Nutritional or food supplements are not to be taken instead of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and will not cause medical issues to suddenly disappear. But taken in addition to a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet and appropriate medical care, they can enhance the quality of life as the body ages.
Some of the essential supplements for life extension are:
- Vitamin C – protects against oxidation damage caused by free radicals. It reduces aging of the skin, high blood pressure and is extremely beneficial in cases of degenerative heart disease and brain disorders as well as cancer.
- Vitamin E – this family of vitamins is antioxidants that enhance the immune system and are active in reducing heart disease. People with high levels of vitamin E are less likely to suffer from vascular aging.
- Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 – is an antioxidant essential for production of energy in cells. As the body ages, the quantity manufactured is reduced, causing deterioration in health. CoQ10 is vital for a healthy heart muscle as well as lowering blood pressure and protecting the brain against degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
- Chromium – This mineral is vital in regulating blood sugar and lowering cholesterol. In diabetic patients, high dosages of chromium can lower the need for medication to control blood sugar levels.
Are supplements always beneficial?
The term natural doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. Poison can be natural. Supplements taken together with certain medications or in certain medical conditions may cause harm. It is vital to make sure that a specific combination is suitable for a specific person.
Genetic and biophysical differences in people are one of the reasons that one supplement might suit one person, but have an adverse effect on someone else. Some vitamins and minerals can interfere with prescribed medicines. While working toward life quality extension, your professional advisor should always take into consideration your prescribed medicines when offering supplements.